Friday, January 22, 2021

Sleigh Bells

 


It has been cold here lately in Central Alabama: we've even had a few snow flurries.  I've been reminded of the coldest I've ever been in my life: a nocturnal sleigh ride to a "cowboy cookout" in Breckenridge, Colorado many years ago.  The name of the dinner and ride was called 2 Below Zero; that should've been a warning that I was going to freeze my butt off.  

I remember it as if it were yesterday:  We dressed warmly and boarded the one horse open sleigh that held about 4-6 people.  On board there were two skins for warmth that covered maybe two people.  There was a lot of pulling and tugging on them, if I recall!  We took the sleigh up the mountain where we were anticipating a delicious cowboy steak cookout.  Everyone in our party skipped lunch because we knew we would be fed well on the mountain.  During the ascent, we were offered champagne.  Did I mention we were freezing?  The champagne was politely declined.  As beautiful as the scenery was, the light breeze made the wind chill almost unbearable, and it seemed to take forever to reach our destination: a mess tent where dinner would be cooked and served.  Fortunately for our frozen selves there were warm cast iron stoves inside.  Toasty!

I can remember that the dinner was excellent: Everyone in our party enjoyed it. Having been warmed by the stoves, delicious food, and hot cocoa, the descent was faster and more bearable.  I would do it again, only wear more layers!  The ride up and down the mountain truly was beautiful and fun; I can remember the sound of the sleigh bells, too.  I found these sleigh bells on the internet and drew them in honor of cold weather fun.  



I'm still enjoying my silverpoint sketchbook.
You can read about it HERE.


Can you remember the coldest you've ever been in your life?  Please share it with us in the comments section below.


Until next time...

Blessings!
Ricki Jill



No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank-you for reading my blog! Please leave a comment so I know you were here. Comments are friendly!

Back to Top